Zodiac is an eco-thriller novel by Neal Stephenson, published in 1988, and his second published novel. It's a story about a young Boston man who works for a not-quite-legal environmentalist organization and investigates companies that dump industrial waste. He suddenly find himself in even more danger than usual after trying to pin an especially toxic dump on a major corporation.
I don't own this book, but have listened to an audio book recording.
- The story is fun and exciting for the whole book.
- Sangamon Taylor is a fun character who is both smart and crafty. Kind of like MacGyver, but who isn't afraid to do drugs.
- The scientific details about various types of toxic waste are really interesting.
- Although the Satanic-Panic of the 1980s was a big deal to the ultra-conservative, it all turned out to be a trumped up religious panic. Because of this, it's hard to take seriously the villainous Satanists. It would be like making the villain one of the ridiculous lies of Alex Jones.
- The book is mostly a bro-fest. There are only a handful of women, and they only play minor roles.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zodiac_(novel) - Wikipedia.