Yume Penguin Monogatari
Yume Penguin Monogatari is a multi-genre action game developed and published by Konami for the Famicom on 1991-01-25. The game combines a traditional platformer, a platform shooter, and a scrolling shooter. In the game, you play Penta the penguin from earlier Konami titles like Arctic Adventure and Penguin Adventure. After binging, you've become obese and your girlfriend Penko has left you for the debonair Ginji. Penko gives Penta an ultimatum to lose weight if he wants to see her again, so you have to try and collect diet drinks and avoid food across several stages in order to slim down.
I don't own this game, but I beat the game on 2019-11-24. I finished both passes and had a prefect weight at the end.
- The game is quite creative. The story is certainly original, and the different settings and bosses in each stage are unique.
- The weight mechanic is quite interesting. When Penta is chubby, he's more difficult to control and can only attack by throwing his weight around. At the medium stage, he is a little faster, and can kick enemies, and, at the slim stage, he can use his power peeps to shoot across the screen.
- The game uses wonderful cartoon art which is very competently converted into graphics by Batten Takaki and Gonzalez Shindo and really well-drawn.
- The music by Katsuhiko Suzuki and Atsushi Fujio is enjoyable and perfect for the game.
- The hit box for Penta seems to be awfully large. I guess you could argue that he reaches out to try and grab food because he's so hungry, but it does get a bit frustrating.
- The game is too short. You can beat it in about 20 minutes, and the second play-through does push that up to 40, but you're just doing the same game again in hard mode. I would have preferred if the developers just made each of the stages longer rather than require a hard-mode pass.
- The game is unapologetic in it's fat-shaming, and that sends a pretty terrible message to children.
- youtube.com/watch?v=g9lfRs48lGE - Longplay (first run only).
|Japanese||夢ペンギン物語||Yume Penguin Monogatari||Story of the Dream Penguin|