Ys III: Wanderers From Ys
Ys III: Wanderers From Ys is an action adventure fantasy game developed and published by Nihon Falcom for the PC-9801 and PC-8801 on 1989-07-28. It was later ported to several other platforms. It is the third game in the Ys series.
I didn't know about the Ys series when it was most popular in the late 1980s and early 1990s. I had seen the titles in lists of games, but because they were mostly Japanese releases, I didn't bother trying to play them. At the end of 2018, I finally decided to try a Ys game because I saw that Ys III had several elements of my favorite game genre, Metroidvania.
I do not own this game. I am playing the SNES port.
- Overall: ?/10
- Best Version: ?
- The beginning story is pretty odd. Dogi takes Adol to his home town, but when it is discovered that the town's leader has been lost in a quarry full of monsters, Dogi just lazes in the inn so that Adol has to rescue the leader by himself.
- Several monsters move so fast it's very hard to avoid taking a hit.
- Ground-based enemies just move back and forth in a fixed area without even a primitive AI.
- Enemies do not have wall collision and instead walk right through them. They're usually placed in areas where they won't walk though walls, but sometimes they do.
- Neither the player nor the monsters recoil from getting hit. This is a terrible way to handle combat because monsters and the player just walk though each other causing damage.
|English||Ys III: Wanderers From Ys|
|Japanese||イースIII – ワンダラーズフロムイース||Isu Suri – Wandarazu Furomu Isu||Ys III: Wanderers From Ys|