Wolfenstein 3-D is a first-person shooter developed by id Software. In the game, you play a World War II prisoner of war who has escaped his cell deep in a Nazi prison and must escape. Additional episodes were added where you infiltrate Nazi strongholds and kill Hitler and other Nazi leaders.
Wolfenstein 3-D is a video game milestone being one of the first hugely popular FPSs.
I do not own Wolfenstein 3D, but have beaten the first three episodes at Bring 'Em On difficulty.
- Overall: 5/10
- Best Version: DOS
- The game, for its time, is a beautiful example of a first-person shooter done right.
- Though cartoonish, the graphics are well-drawn and attractive.
- The enemy AI is pretty dumb, but it does sometimes cause some rather shocking results when they inadvertently sneak up on you from behind.
- Bobby Prince's incorporation of Nazi and American political music was a nice touch.
- The addition of a Pac-Man level was pretty cool.
- The game tends to become monotonous. After the third episode, you've seen nearly everything the game has to offer save the remaining bosses.
- The use of lives and points doesn't really fit the game's theme.