Getting Windows to share files through the network is a lot more complicated than it needs to be.
- Open Explorer.
- Click Tools -> Folder Options -> View Tab -> Advanced Settings List
- Uncheck "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)".
- Right-click on the shared folder, click properties.
- Select "Everyone" in the Group or user names list.
- Check the "Full Control" under the allow column in the Permissions for Everyone list.
- Click "OK".
- If connection still fails, map a network drive, and click the link "Connect using a different user name." and enter a valid user name and password.