VVVVVV is a 2-D platformer where, rather than jumping, the player may invert gravity for themselves while standing on a solid surface. In the story, six people have to evacuate from a spaceship through a teleporter, but an anomaly causes everyone to be teleported randomly in an alternate dimension. You must rescue your fellow crew members by exploring the various rooms and navigating through their puzzles. Each main section of the game introduces new movement mechanics to learn. There are also, scattered around the map, trinkets to collect, and save points where you respawn when you die.
- The music of the game is especially awesome.
- The graphics, while crudely drawn, are quite attractive and C64 retro.
- The idea of flipping gravity rather than jumping creates a whole new way of looking at a platformer game, and the additional movement mechanics keep the game fresh.
- Some of the trinkets are obnoxiously difficult to get.
- Although the mechanics change as you go, the bulk of the game has an overall sameness to it.
- A few of the rooms are frustratingly difficult.