Uninvited is a puzzle adventure game with a horror theme created by ICOM Simulations and first released on Macintosh in 1986, and then ported to a bunch of different platforms. The game uses the MacVenture Engine.
I bought Uninvited because it appeared to be the same type of game as one of my favorites, Shadowgate. I got it as a used rental cartridge from Kroger along with Shadowgate and Déjà Vu. I got really far into the game when I first played it, but got bored of it. Around 2010, I decided to try and beat it properly, and did.
I own this game on the NES and have beaten it.
- Overall: 5/10
- Best Version: NES
- The game's artwork is pretty good in most of the ports, and the NES port has great music.
- The interface is nicely intuitive.
- Hiroyuki Masuno's soundtrack is quite nice.
- For a horror game, it's not very scary.
- The maze in the back yard is a bit dull.
- The red skull that drives you crazy and slowly kills you every couple dozen moves is very obnoxious. Only years later did I learn that starts when you pick up the ruby, and can be avoided all together if you just leave the item where is lies. I wish the game would indicate this in some way.
This box art was used exclusively for the Windows 3 port. While it features the haunted house with lightning in the background. I think the skeleton in the window actually hurts the overall experience, as it is unable to live up to what people can imagine. Also, while the typeface is good, why does the lettering use an Easter color palette?
There is also an official hint guide to this game, which I haven't been able to find.
- youtube.com/watch?v=xjl3yLYePmE - Longplay.
|Japanese||悪魔の招待状||Akuma no Shotaijo||The Devil's Invitation|
- mobygames.com/game/uninvited - MobyGames.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninvited_(video_game) - Wikipedia.
- vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php/Uninvited_(NES) - Music.
- thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Wiki/index.php/Uninvited - NES Hacker Database.
- tcrf.net/Uninvited_(NES) - The Cutting Room Floor.