Tower of Heaven
Tower of Heaven is a platform action game developed and published by Askiisoft for Windows in 2009. The game was initially designed in Game Maker and then ported to Flash in 2010. The flash version adds a couple new features.
I was made aware of the game after buying a Humble Bundle which included the game's soundtrack. I really liked the music, so I looked for the game and found the online Flash version. I became too frustrated constantly dying in my first attempt and gave up on the 6th level (the "thou shalt not walk left" level). A few months later, I showed the game to a friend, and he persisted past level 6, but gave up shortly after. This gave me the desire to try again, and, in my next attempt, I beat the game.
The game is free, and I have beat it multiple times. I had to consult spoilers to find some of the secrets, but I was able to reach them all.
- Overall: 5/10
- Best Version: Flash
- The premise is quite nice. I like the idea of climbing the tower to reach a god who smites you for not following his ridiculous rules. Seems like most forms of religion.
- I like the art style and dithering, and the fours shades of green-gray is pleasantly reminiscent of the Game Boy.
- The 8-bit music composed by Flashygoodness is phenomenal, the best part of the game, in my opinion.
- The controls are quite responsive.
- I like the character design. The death animations are over-the-top funny and the foot-twiddling jumps are cute.
- I like the empty intermission rooms. They add some ambiance and a good respite.
- The secrets are a nice addition, I just wish they were more interesting.
- The god at the end is an interesting twist.
- The game is too short. More could have been done with it before boredom or frustration would have set in.
- I would have liked to have seen even more obnoxious rules.
- There are a few tricky parts where you die so many times it become annoying.
- youtube.com/watch?v=nlGhUMv7f5U - Longplay, all secrets.
|English||Tower of Heaven|
|Japanese||天国の塔||Tengoku no To||Tower of Heaven|
- askiisoft.com/games/tower-of-heaven - Official.
- mobygames.com/game/tower-of-heaven - MobyGames.
- store.flashygoodness.com/album/tower-of-heaven-original-soundtrack - Soundtrack.
- tcrf.net/Tower_of_Heaven - The Cutting Room Floor.