The Secret of Monkey Island
The Secret of Monkey Island is an adventure game created by Lucasfilm Games and released for DOS in 1990. It is the first in a series of Monkey Island games and uses the using the popular SCUMM engine.
I first saw this game at a friend's house. He had the LucasArts adventure box set and went through several of the games pretty quickly, so I never got a chance to play it. Hearing more and more about the series over the years, I finally decided to play it around 2015.
I do not own the game, but I have beaten it, though I required occasional hints.
- Overall: 5/10
- Best Version: DOS VGA remake?
- The script is pretty hilarious, lots of funny dialog options.
- The graphics are quite beautiful, even in the EGA version.
- You're unable to choose a lot of the dialog options because the game cuts-short a lot of conversations. The only way to read these options is to keep reloading the game.
- Like many adventure games, some of the puzzles are particularly difficult to solve and don't make much sense. I can attribute this to trying to pad the length of the game, trying to sell hint books, or laziness from the developers. Either case is annoying.
- Several parts of the game are just too silly and ruin the experience (but only temporarily).
- Nothing really, this game is pretty solid.
- mobygames.com/game/secret-of-monkey-island - MobyGames.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_of_Monkey_Island - Wikipedia.
- gamefaqs.com/pc/562681-the-secret-of-monkey-island - GameFAQS.