The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening is an action adventure game made by Nintendo and released for the Game Boy in 1993. It's the fourth game in the Zelda series. Later, an upgraded version with the addition of the letters "DX" was released for the Game Boy Color. The game doesn't take itself as seriously as the previous Zelda games and includes jokes, mergers from other Nintendo franchises, and fourth wall breaking.
I had first seen this game on my high school friend's Game Boy (around 1996), and he said it was just as good as The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, which I found hard to believe. But after playing it for a few minutes, I was surprised at how close it was graphically to the SNES game. I didn't do much with it, but around 2010, I decided to try and play the game through, and made it through the first few underworlds, but then got bored of it. I will most likely finish it in the future.
I do not own this game, and I have yet to beat it.
- Overall: 7/10
- Best Version: Game Boy Color
- The pixel art is really good and fitting for the Zelda franchise.
- The game has great music for a Game Boy game.
- It's cute to see the inclusion of other Nintendo franchises like Goombas, Piranha Plants, and Dr. Wright.
- Jumping was also a cool feature.
- I like that you can get regular hints about where you need to go next.
- I don't like having to switch items so often. I preferred the previous games where several items like the bracelet, boots, and shield were always on.
- There are only a few items to buy in the game, so rupees aren't very useful.
- The anachronistic telephones are really out of place. A Zelda game should never have modern technology.
- Several of the secret seashells are hidden obnoxiously well requiring you to have to dig nearly everywhere on the map to find them.
- The super powerful boomerang, though a fantastic weapon, doesn't fit thematically.
- I get extremely pissed every time I have to read that damn message about not being able to pick something up with my bare hands. The first time was informative, the second was a refresher, the thousandth was Game Boy throwingly annoying. You would think it would stop after you get the bracelet, but no! Same with acorns, triforce pieces, chests, black boulders, etc. It's really annoying.
- Legend of Zelda, The - Link's Awakening - Official Nintendo Players Guide.pdf
Official Nintendo Players Guide.
- zeldadungeon.net/Zelda04-links-awakening.php - Zelda Dungeon.
- mobygames.com/game/gameboy/legend-of-zelda-links-awakening - MobyGames (Game Boy).
- mobygames.com/game/legend-of-zelda-links-awakening-dx - MobyGames (Game Boy Color).
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Link%27s_Awakening - Wikipedia.
- gamefaqs.com/gameboy/563277-the-legend-of-zelda-links-awakening - GameFAQs.