The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
My brother "borrowed" this game from a friend of his, deleted his completed save file, and pretended it was his own game. We played it quite awhile before he finally gave it back, minus his save file. Having fallen in love with the game, I got a used copy at some point after and played the game getting all the way to level 7 before failing to beat the end boss and giving up. Shortly there after, I sold my SNES, and didn't play the game for quite awhile after. I played the game off and on through an emulator, and, after many years, decided to beat the game properly from the start. I played it all the way through, defeated the level 7 boss, and finished the entire game.
I own this game, have beaten it with 100% completion, and am very familiar with it.
- Overall: 10/10
- Best Version: SNES
- The graphics, music, and sound effects are all stunning.
- The game engine is solid, and functions like a well-oiled machine.
- The story, while cliche, is a big jump up from previous game, and the frequent interactions with NPCs early in the game keep it flowing nicely.
- The game manual is top-notch. Lots of beautiful art and a detailed explanation of the game.
- The game it pretty linear. In the first game, most of the map and underworlds can be explored from the get-go. But in this one, large sections of the game are off-limits until you get specific items. It slowly unfolds, which is cool the first time through, but makes the game predictable every time after.
- The bosses are indeed a step up, but some of them are pretty uninspired. Most of them can be killed just by hitting them with the sword over an over again.
- Several of the items are unimportant. The cape, the cane of Byrna, and the quake spell, have little use.
- The difficulty of the dungeons isn't quite orderly. 1 is harder than 3, 5 is harder than 6. Though this might be my play style.
- Nothing really, this game is a work of art.
- Legend of Zelda - Link to the Past - SNES - Manual.pdf
- Legend of Zelda - Link to the Past - Map - Light World.png
- Legend of Zelda - Link to the Past - Map - Dark World.png