The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
I own this game, have beaten it with 100% completion, and am very familiar with it.
- Overall: 10/10
- Best Version: SNES
- The graphics, music, and sound effects are all stunning.
- The game engine is solid, and functions like a well-oiled machine.
- The story, while cliche, is a big jump up from previous game, and the frequent interactions with NPCs early in the game keep it flowing nicely.
- The game it pretty linear. In the first game, most of the map and underworlds can be explored from the get-go. But in this one, large sections of the game are off-limits until you get specific items. It slowly unfolds, which is cool the first time through, but makes the game predictable every time after.
- The bosses are indeed a step up, but some of them are pretty uninspired. Most of them can be killed just by hitting them with the sword over an over again.
- Several of the items are unimportant. The cape, the cane of Byrna, and the quake spell, have little use.
- The difficulty of the dungeons isn't quite orderly. 1 is harder than 3, 5 is harder than 6. Though this might be my play style.
- Nothing really, this game is a work of art.