The Goonies II
I have beat the NES game with 100% completion, though with a lot of hints from the The Official Nintendo Players Guide.
- Overall: 5/10
- Best Version: NES
- The graphics and music are both pretty good for the time.
- The controls are pretty responsive and easy to work with. Jumping isn't as comfortable as the physics defying Contra, but it's not as bad as Castlevania either.
- The game is very large and offers a wonderful adventure in various environments like damp caves, buildings, ice caverns, underwater, etc. And each has its own unique monsters to fight.
- There is a wide variety of items and weapons. The game captures the various fun gear from the movie quite well. The differing shoes are especially
- The 3D tunnels are an interesting idea. They offer a respite from the action and have an unique facing-direction mechanic. However, they ultimately hurt the game because they're difficult to navigate and searching slows down the game.
- Oh sure, I understand why the Fratelli's hideout contains a massive subterranean cave complex full of old men, women, super heroes, Eskimos, and fish monsters, but what's the deal with kidnapping a mermaid?
- In order to find necessary items in the tunnels, you must hit the back wall with your fist (even if there is a door); hit the back wall, ceiling, and floor with your hammer; and use glasses in every damn room. This is an obnoxious chore and seriously hurts the game.
- Some of the items in the rooms are hidden in an unnecessary manned like when you have to hit an old lady several times with no change in reaction before she gives you an item.
- mobygames.com/game/goonies-ii/release-info - MobyGames.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Goonies_II - Wikipedia.
- vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php/The_Goonies_II_(NES) - Music.
- strategywiki.org/wiki/The_Goonies_II/Walkthrough - Strategy Wiki.
- youtube.com/watch?v=dSzdV1pQfl4 - Walk-through video.
- nintendoplayer.com/goonies/protos.htm - Details about the prototype cartridge.
- thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Wiki/index.php/The_Goonies_II - NES Hacker Database.