The Binding of Isaac
The Binding of Isaac is an action game built in the style of the dungeons of The Legend of Zelda. The dungeon is randomly made and there are many different power-ups, items, and weapons to collect. The story begins with Isaac's ultra-religious mother hearing voices from her god telling her to murder her son Isaac (like from the story from Genesis. Isaac hides in the dangerous basement fighting off monsters and becomes more powerful before encountering his mother who he must kill before she kills him.
I own this game and have beaten the most basic ending.
Best Version: 50%
— This section contains spoilers! —
- The game has a vast array of items to collect.
- There is wide variety in the enemies as well.
- The theme, while macabre and gross, is very well conducted.
- While the game isn't too easy, which is good, it's a bit too hard. It took me around 30 tries before I could finally beat the most basic version of the game, and not because my skill increased that much, but because I got lucky with the items I found.
- In the later levels a lot of chests and bonuses are surrounded by pits, but items that allow you to move over pits are few and far between, so you miss out on a lot of potential upgrades.
- Initially I liked the idea of the pills being randomly assigned new effects from a large pool each play-through, but the possibility of being crippled seems to make them too undesirable to gamble with.
- The game offers no explanation for any of the items you collect forcing you to have to manually keep track of the function of the hundreds of items (or use a hint document). This is especially frustrating when you have to choose between an item you're familiar with, with a potentially worse item, or, even worse, two completely random items.
- youtube.com/watch?v=oU8EEHy9vR0 - Longplay.
- bindingofisaac.wikia.com - The Binding of Isaac Wiki.