Super Metroid is an action adventure platformer released by Nintendo for the SNES in 1994. It is the third game in the Metroid series and takes place right after the events of Metroid II: Return of Samus.
The first time I saw Super Metroid was from watching my brother and his friend (whom he was borrowing it from) playing an early stage of the game. I was very much impressed by it at the time, but we didn't beat it then. It wasn't until several years later in the early 2000s that I ended up beating it myself. I've never gotten good enough at it to see the best ending.
I own this game and have beaten it, though I don't remember my time or completion amount.
- Overall: 9/10
- Best Version: SNES
- The graphics, animation, and music are all wonderfully designed.
- The game engine is very solid. Player control is top-notch.
- The world has become much more realistic than the previous games. Norfair feels hot, the Brinstar feels alive, Maridia feels clammy, the Wrecked Ship feels desolate.
- The game offers a good challenge, with some areas becoming very difficult, but it never seems unfair.
- The little native lifeforms you meet that teach you the extra abilities of your suit are really cute. I also like that you can save them later in the game.
- While I like the Varia suit, I miss the suit change from the previous Metroid games. Metroid allowed a suitless run, and in Metroid II: Return of Samus, Samus' look changed when you got the Varia. Super Metroid has the Varia and Gravity suits, they merely change the color palette.
- Draygon is an annoying boss. He grabs you and then you sit there helpless as your energy is drained, and he's very difficult to avoid. I get that there is a puzzle element to beating him, but without ever having puzzle elements to bosses before in the series, it is unlikely to be considered.
- Again, the game rewards the player by having Samus take off more clothes the better she does, but this time there is only one suitless ending, which makes it less like an adult stripping game that the original.
- Samus has unfortunately been retconned to be blonde.