Super Mario Land
Not owning a Game Boy, I remember watching some friends play it at school before Game Boys were banned, and wanting to play it really bad. Not owning a Game Boy myself, I only ever got a few chances to play when I was younger. It was many years later that I decided to make a serious attempt at the game, and the beat it after a couple hours.
I do not own the game, but I have beaten the game, and can beat it in a single sitting.
- Overall: 5/10
- Best Version: Game Boy
- The game is pretty fun, and the designers did a good job of adding new aspects to the game while still keeping with the Super Mario theme.
- I like how each world has a unique theme to it, Egyptian crypts, Easter Island statues, etc.
- The scrolling shooter stages are actually a refreshing change of pace that keeps the game from getting stale.
- I like that the bosses are all unique.
- The game is too short. Even for a Game Boy game, 12 levels isn't enough.
- The player controls aren't as polished as the NES games, and it's not obvious which block Mario is going to hit due to the size difference between his sprite and the blocks.
- What's the point of Princess Daisy? Is Mario just meant to be a professional princess rescuer?