Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 2 is an action platformer by Nintendo. This game is not the real Super Mario Bros. 2, which was released in Japan in 1986, but wasn't released in America because Nintendo assumed the game would be too difficult for American players. Instead, Nintendo took their 1987 Famicom Disk System game, Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic, and changed some of the graphics around to make it a Mario game.
I don't remember when I first played Super Mario Bros. 2, but I do remember not liking it. I found the new environment to be too different from the original. No goombas, no koopas, not breaking bricks, and you can ride on enemies? After awhile, the game grew on me, and I started to appreciate it more, but it never became a favorite of mine.
I own the American release, but I have never beaten it.
- Overall: 5/10
- Best Version: NES
- The game is pretty damn creative. The changing environments, the various enemies, the ability to switch between playable characters, these are all great ideas.
- The graphics are well drawn and animated and the music is quite enjoyable.
- The game is a good challenge. A little on the hard side, but not unfair.
- Allowing players to choose between various player characters, each with their own abilities, was a cool idea.
- The level design is great: warps, secret passages, and jumps that benefit the slower characters.
- Player control isn't as good as it could be. Jumping feels sluggish and fluid, not as controllable as you would want.
- For American players, the game has nothing to do with the Super Mario franchise. I don't like it when companies force a game into a series for a buck.
- The level design relies heavily on memorization. You're essentially expected to die many times before figuring out where to jump and land, which plants to uproot, where to throw the potion, etc.
- The ending is lame. It was all a dream, nothing you did actually matters!
- Super Mario Bros. 2 - NES - Manual.pdf
- mobygames.com/game/super-mario-bros-2 - MobyGames.
- mobygames.com/game/nes/yume-kj-dokidoki-panic - MobyGames (Yume Kojo).
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._2 - Wikipedia.
- thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Wiki/index.php/Super_Mario_Bros._2 - NES Hacker Database.