Difference between revisions of "Sonic the Hedgehog"
|Line 81:||Line 81:|
Revision as of 22:15, 21 February 2019
I had seen commercials for Sonic the Hedgehog long before I had played it. A middle school friend of mine had a Genesis and I played it at his house. I remember being very impressed with the way the game looked, but I found it to be quite difficult. I tried running through the game and kept hitting enemies, spikes, and various other hazards. All in all, I didn't enjoy the game, and, to this day, I still don't care much for Sonic games.
I do not own this game and I have never beaten it.
- Overall: 4/10
- Best Version: Genesis
- The game has fantastic graphics and animation.
- Masato Nakamura's music is very enjoyable.
- The evolving boss battles are pretty good. Nothing too crazy, but different enough to be challenging.
- In the few areas where it's safe to run fast, it's wonderful to watch Sonic moving at top speed.
- Sonic dropping all his rings is a cool graphic effect.
- The bonus stages are a nice break from the regular levels.
- The plot doesn't make any sense. Why is Dr. Robotnik turning woodland creatures into robots when he's interested in obtaining the chaos jewels?
- Getting a 1up from accruing 100 rings seems awfully derivative of the coins in Super Mario Bros.
- The game's main gimmick is that you can run fast, but, in reality, running fast will just get you killed. Since Sonic is centered on the screen, you have only a split second to react to hazards, not nearly enough for most players. To stand a chance of success, you must slowly make your way through each section gently, avoiding the many hazards, until you have each level memorized; it's quite tedious.
- youtube.com/watch?v=dJJnxHcv1z4 - Longplay.
|English||Sonic the Hedgehog|
|Japanese||ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ||Sonikku za Hejjihoggu||Sonic the Hedgehog|