Risk of Rain
Risk of Rain is a 2-D platform shooter. The player must locate a portal somewhere in the map and activate it to move to the next map. As the player searches for the portal, enemies randomly spawn around the map, and killing them yields gold to open chests for upgrades. When the portal is found and activated, it releases a boss and a wave of rapidly-spawning enemies for a short while. After every enemy in the stage is killed, you can advance to the next stage. There are only seven stages before the boss stage, but you can repeat them as many times as you want to become more powerful. However, the longer you take, the more powerful the spawning enemies become.
I own this game and have beaten it on normal difficulty several times with the Commando.
- There is a large variety of power-ups, most of which are useful.
- The art work style is interesting and the graphics are competently drawn.
- The music and sound are very well done and fitting.
- The multi-player is a wonderful bonus.
- I like the idea of charting and stat keeping, but I find that I mostly use the best items and classes, so it doesn't tell me much.
- The bosses are particularly interesting.
- All of the unlockable classes are more difficult to play than the commando. While they have interesting abilities, they're often weaker, slower, and more difficult to use. It's unusual for the unlocked portions of a game to be worse than the default.
- Most of the usable (orange) items are garbage or objectively worse than others.
- As the number of monsters dwindles, it becomes boring to wander the stage and kill the last remaining enemies to advance, especially when you're vastly more powerful than they are. Thankfully, there are some items which can kill off-screen enemies.
- riskofraingame.com - Official page.
- riskofrain.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page - Wikia.
- http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/risk-of-rain mobygames.com/game/windows/risk-of-rain] - MobyGames.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_of_Rain - Wikipedia.