Risk of Rain
Risk of Rain is a 2-D platform shooter developed by Hopoo Games and published by Chucklefish on 2013-11-08 for Linux, Macintosh, and Windows and later for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita. The player must locate a portal somewhere in the map and activate it to move to the next map. As the player searches for the portal, enemies randomly spawn around the map, and killing them yields gold to open chests for upgrades. When the portal is found and activated, it releases a boss and a wave of rapidly-spawning enemies for a short while. After every enemy in the stage is killed, you can advance to the next stage. After you complete the seventh stage, you can either enter the boss stage, or loop through the stages again and grind to become more powerful. However, the longer you take, the more powerful the spawning enemies become.
I got this game as part of a Humble Bundle. It took me awhile to learn how to play, but once I figured it out, I really began to enjoy it, and then uncover the alternate playable characters and the artifacts.
I own this game and have beaten it on normal difficulty with the commando and huntress. I have 13/15 achievements.
- Overall: 6/10
- Best Version: Windows
- There is a large variety of power-ups, most of which are useful.
- The art work style is interesting and the graphics are competently drawn.
- The music and sound are very well done and fitting.
- The multi-player is a wonderful bonus.
- I like the idea of charting and stat keeping, but I find that I mostly use the best items and classes, so it doesn't tell me much.
- The bosses are particularly interesting.
- All of the unlockable classes are more difficult to play than the commando. While they have interesting abilities, they're weaker, slower, and more difficult to use. It feels like a letdown to unlock a new portion of a game, only to have it be worse than the default.
- Most of the usable (orange) items are garbage or objectively inferior to the few good ones.
- As the number of monsters dwindles, it becomes boring to wander the stage and kill the last remaining enemies to advance, especially when you're vastly more powerful than they are. Thankfully, there are some items which can kill off-screen enemies.
- youtube.com/watch?v=IPED65zf6l0 - Longplay.