Operation C is a scrolling platform run-and-gun developed by Konami and published by Ultra for the Game Boy and released on 1991-01-08. The game is the third title in the Contra series and acts as a sequel to Super C. In this game, a new alien called "Black Viper" is trying to take over Earth where the Red Falcon failed.
I never played this game when it was popular. Instead, I saw it on a list of the best Game Boy games and played it in an emulator.
I do not own the game, but I beat it on 2017-08-03.
- Overall: 5/10
- Best Version: Game Boy
- The game has decent graphics and sound.
- There is a good amount of variety among the enemies, bosses, and level design.
- In the brief time you have, the game presents a tough challenge, even for someone skilled in Contra games.
- I really like the new homing gun, and was pleased that they dropped the laser gun.
- With only 5 levels, the game is pretty short.
- Some of the music is reused from the NES games without even attempting to remix it.
- The final boss (after defeating the guardian) is extremely dull.
- The Japanese and European releases didn't give the game a new title.
The original Japanese art appears to be taken from a still of Schwarzenegger from Terminator 2: Judgment Day. The alien backdrop is good, but the white foreground makes it look more like a flowery border!
The European box shamelessly uses the same art and title as the NES release of Contra, even though the game is entirely different.
- youtube.com/watch?v=vEl3a1rxGxI - Longplay.
|English (North America)||Operation C|