Nintendo Entertainment System
The Nintendo Entertainment System is a video game console created by Nintendo. My brother and I pooled our paper route money to buy the Action Set back around 1988. I still have it, though it barely works due to the poor design. It has become one of my favorite video game platforms ever made.
Of the games I've played on the system, I have particularly enjoyed:
- Bionic Commando
- Final Fantasy
- The Goonies II
- Guerilla War
- The Legend of Zelda
- Mega Man 2
- Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
- River City Ransom
- Super C
- Super Mario Bros.
- Super Mario Bros. 3
- Ultima: Exodus
- Ultima: Quest of the Avatar
- Many great games were released on the platform.
- The controllers, though not the most comfortable to hold, were very tough and could survive a lot of abuse.
- The system had a pretty impressive video processor (the PPU) and the audio processing unit was the best audio for a home console at the time.
- The lock-out chip and toaster design was a serious engineering flaw that caused most systems to stop working after a couple years.
- Despite Nintendo's strong control over the platform, I don't think they did enough to limit terrible games for the system, which led to the market becoming over saturated with crappy games.