New Super Mario Bros.
New Super Mario Bros., known in Japan as スーパーマリオブラザーズ [Nyu Supa Mario Burazazu] is a 2D scrolling platform action game in the Mario universe developed by Nintendo EAD and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo DS on 2006-05-05. Like most Mario games, Peach has been kidnapped, this time by Bowser Jr., and you must
I don't own this game, but I have beaten it.
- Overall: 5/10
- Best Version: Nintendo DS
- I like the addition of the Super Mario 64 enemies into a pseudo-2D Mario game.
- The mega mushroom was a nice new powerup. The mini mushroom, not so much.
- The inclusion of the wall jump was nice and the designers did a good job of designing maps to benefit it.
- There was some pretty nice level design, and the new objects that alter the maps (P-switches which shift the floor, water level shifters, etc.) are well used.
- The graphics do a pretty good job of marrying raster backgrounds and 3D sprites.
- The environment graphics are pretty wonderful.
- Using star coins to unlock beneficial areas of the map was a nice way to encourage players to try to reach more difficult areas of the maps.
- I love how the characters in the game react to the "wah wah" of the above ground theme music.
- I like how the screen shifts from top to bottom when you go down pipes.
- The game is still a bit too similar to standard Super Mario Bros. For the most part, I felt like I was playing a level expansion rather than a new game.
- I don't like how the player skips every other world as part of normal play.
- I'm so tired of the damsel in distress trope. Sing us a new one.
- The 1up guessing "game" isn't a game because its entirely random.
- While I appreciate the addition of mini games, they're all pretty dull.