Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
I own both Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! and Punch-Out!!. I have beat every boxer except Tyson.
- The boxing mechanic of dodging punches and counter-punching is a great system.
- The game gives you very flexible control over Little Mac and allows you to move faster as you become more comfortable with the moves.
- The stamina stat was a clever way to prevent the player from just mashing buttons.
- Rewarding the player with uppercut stars is also a fun mechanic.
- While the boxing mechanic is relatively the same throughout the game, each boxer introduces a new element keeping the game fresh all the way to the end.
- The large flicker-free character sprites were very impressive for the time.
- The game is really racist in the way it depicts boxers. The Russian is a drunk, the Pacific Islander is fat with beady little eyes, the Frenchman is weak and pathetic, etc. Although, I do have to give them credit for having such a diverse line up.
- Mike Tyson is extremely hard. A little too hard for most players, and it kind of hurts the game.
- Continuing after losing a match is setup weird. Sometimes you get a couple rematches before getting a game over, sometimes you get a game over the first time you lose.