Metroid: Zero Mission
Metroid: Zero Mission is an action adventure platform run and gun (Metroidvania) developed and published by Nintendo for the Game Boy Advance on 2004-02-09. It is a remake of the original NES game using an engine closer to that of Super Metroid rather than the original. I would suggest this version of the game rather than the original NES game to any fan of the Metroidvania genre who hasn't yet played the original.
I played this game, initially not knowing it was a remake of the first Metroid. Having a pretty good grasp of the original, I found it pretty easy to progress, but really enjoyed all the added extras. Some of them even made me jump because I thought I knew what was going to happen, but something different occurred. I would recommend this game as the introduction point of the series.
I do not own the game, but I have beaten it in 2:48:63 with 67% completion on normal difficulty.
- Overall: 8/10
- Best Version: Game Boy Advance
- The game's map and navigation system takes away a lot of the aimless wandering found in the original while still keeping the allure.
- The new area adds extra game play, and was a nice addition for those of us who have already beaten the original.
- The more-fleshed out story, full-screen graphics, larger sprites, updated music, background art, etc. really make the game more attractive.
- After you beat the game, you unlock the original 8-bit game as well!
- You can actually save your game, rather than deal with an obnoxious password system.
- Some of the difficulties of the original game remain, so, if you don't know where to look to find the Varia or a couple of the energy tanks, you may still miss them and find the game too difficult.
- While the game also contains the original 8-bit Metroid game, the Game Boy Advance resolution isn't large enough to display the game full screen, so it is obnoxiously squished.
- Interestingly, when you're given hints on where to go next, the game is surprisingly short, even with the added content.
- I think the box art is kind of lame.
- youtube.com/watch?v=3WcR9VI_rt8 - Longplay, 100% items, hard mode, best ending.
|English||Metroid: Zero Mission|
|Japanese||メトロイド ゼロミッション||Metoroido Zero Misshon||Metroid: Zero Mission|