Metroid: Hissho Tekunikku Kan Peki-ban
Metroid: Hissho Tekunikku Kan Peki-ban is a manga and strategy guide for the NES game Metroid published in Japan by Tokuma Shoten in 1986. It is issue WC-17 of Wanpakku Comics and volume 10 of the Hissho Tekunikku Kan Peki-ban series. The manga was produced by Minazuki Yuu with design assistance from Izanami Roh and Rindo Itzumi and was written as a complete walkthrough for Metroid. It also provides backstory, describes each enemy and power-up, has detailed maps, and reveals secrets and useful strategies, all through a fully-illustrated 192-page comic.
I didn't learn about this comic until 2018, but I was very impressed by it when I saw it. It still amazes me how much work the Japanese put into their video games even as early as 1986. Although the quality belies a manga clearly intended for children, the length of the manga and how closely it ties to the game is mind-blowing.
I don't own this manga, but I have read an English translation prepared by the Metroid-Database web site.
- Despite being made for children, the comic is drawn quite well.
- Samus's eyes do a great job of emoting the helmeted hero.
- There are lots of silly jokes that appeal to kids.
- Early in the comic, it explains even the more basic parts of the game, like how to open doors, defeat basic enemies, use the Maru Mari ball, and ways to collect energy quickly.
- I like how even though the walkthrough spoils most of the game, it still doesn't spoil Samus' sex.
- The maps not only show the location of all the power-ups, but they also give help hints.
- The inclusion of a couple Famicom games is pretty funny.
- ALike many Japanese comics, the language is more adult in places than is accepted for American children. It's nice they don't censor words that children of the intended reading age would certainly already know.
- Because it follows the game so closely and teaches you how to play, the comic can be boring at times and fairly disjointed compared to a regular story.
- metroid-database.com/guides - Translation source.