Megamania is a classic single-screen shooter programmed by Steve Cartwright originally released in 1982 on the Atari 2600 and Atari 5200. This is one of my favorite Atari 2600 games, and a favorite of the single-screen space shooter.
I once programmed by own version of Megamania in QuickBASIC.
I own Megamania for the Atari 2600. My highest score is 111,920, well beyond the score of 45,000 needed to earn the Activision Megamaniac patch, but a far cry from when the game stops counting at 999,999.
- Overall: 5/10
- Best Version: Atari 2600?
- Despite the Atari 2600's memory restrictions, Cartwright packed a lot of variation into this game's enemies. They follow different movement patterns, look different, and each have several variations.
- Being able to control the ship's gun in different ways was a nice addition.
- The game has really nice sound for a 2600 game.
- Due to the extreme limits of the Atari 2600, the game is unfortunately too repetitive.