Difference between revisions of "Mega Man II"
Revision as of 10:42, 13 June 2017
Mega Man 2 is the second game in the Mega Man series; it is an action platformer broken up into stages, each ending with a boss. Dr. Wily was defeated by Mega Man in the first game, but he built eight new robots and is once again trying to conquer the world. I first saw this game in a Nintendo strategy guide and thought it looked amazing, so I asked for this game and got it for Christmas (around 1990). The first time I played it, I started in Quickman's stage, because the strategy guide suggested his weapon for a lot of the sections in the game. Naturally, I got my ass handed to me! After a lot of trial and error, I eventually learned a better stage order and now I prefer: Metalman, Bubbleman, Woodman, Flashman, Airman, Crashman, Heatman, Quickman.
I own this game for the NES and have beaten it on both normal and difficult skill levels.
- Overall: 9/10
- Best Version: NES
- The graphics are colorful, well-drawn, and highly detailed for such a low resolution.
- The music is extremely good, some of the best for the platform.
- The game is difficult without being unfair and even has a difficulty setting for less die-hard players.
- The ending cut scenes and staff roll is a fantastic way to finish the game.
- Each of the bosses, despite being quite primitive, has a unique style which can be felt in their stage, fighting style, and weapon.
- The bosses in the first four Dr. Wily stages are quite clever. The Mechanical Dragon is especially terrifying, well-drawn, and a good challenge.
- The boss weapons are very unbalanced. Some weapons, like Lead Bubble only have two real uses in the game, while Metal Blade is so versatile, it's best to use it for most of the game.
- The disappearing platforms from the first game are back, and even worse than before. Luckily, the Items 1-3 make them a little easier to deal with.
- Later in the game, you have to deal with a lot of instant-death spikes and pits which are a lame way of increasing difficulty.
- The Dr. Wily boss stages are pretty uninspired using drab colors and using mostly repeated enemies.
- Nothing, this game rocks.
- mobygames.com/game/mega-man-2 - MobyGames.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man_2 - Wikipedia.
- gamefaqs.com/nes/563442-mega-man-2 - GameFAQs.
- vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php/Mega_Man_II_(NES) - Music.
- spriters-resource.com/nes/mm2/ - Sprite Sheets.
- youtube.com/watch?v=vn3UiC-kkjc - Title sequence.
- youtube.com/watch?v=Ys7CC9oP8mU - Ending sequence.
- youtube.com/watch?v=g_7rmGlo-1U - Brentalfloss - Title.
- youtube.com/watch?v=ykkdvYThT_Y - Brentalfloss - Dr. Wily Stage 1.
- thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Wiki/index.php/Mega_Man_II - NES Hacker Database.