Ice Hockey (Nintendo)
Ice Hockey is a sports game developed by Nintendo (R&D2) and Pax Softnica and published by Nintendo on the Famicom Disk System on 1988-01-21 and on the Nintendo Entertainment System in March 1988. While the game is based on the sport of hockey, it takes great liberties with the rules; for example, each team has only five players. Despite being such a primitive simulation of the sport, Ice Hockey is one of the more enjoyable early sports games made for the NES.
I first played Nintendo's Ice Hockey at a friend's house around 1991. Although I was never a big fan of sports games, I was fairly well-versed in them because I had an older brother who loved them. Even though the game was new to me, I was still able to figure the game out well enough to beat the kid who owned it.
I own this game and can beat the AI using the USA team.
- Overall: 3/10
- Best Version: NES
- Allowing the player to customize their team players with three body sizes (thin, medium, and stocky) is a fun, if ridiculous, way of making your team unique.
- Allowing the player to switch control of their player makes it much easier to control a whole team with only one player.
- You can adjust the game's playing speed. While this technically doesn't make the AI better, it makes everything faster which decreases human reaction speed, effectively making the game harder.
- The game supports two-player simultaneous versus mode which can be a lot of fun when both players are equally skilled.
- The game ignores the majority of the rules of hockey (although, to some extent, this helps keep the game fun). Examples of ignored rules include: the number of players on the ice is five instead of six, icing is the only real penalty, players without the puck can enter the goalie crease, and fighting arbitrary punishes a player, etc.
- The AI only has one difficulty level, and, once you get good at exploiting it, which doesn't take long, there is no challenge left in single-player mode.
- There isn't much to the game. After you play your first match, you will probably have seen everything there is to it.
Nintendo Fun Club tips.
The original game doesn't have credits.
|Music Composer||Soyo Oka|
|Japanese||アイスホッケー||Aisu Hokke||Ice Hockey|
- mobygames.com/game/ice-hockey - MobyGames.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Hockey_(1988_video_game) - Wikipedia.
- thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Wiki/index.php?title=Ice_Hockey - NES Hacker Database.
- tcrf.net/Ice_Hockey_(NES) - The Cutting Room Floor.