Hugo's House of Horrors
Hugo's House of Horrors is an adventure game designed by David P. Gray and released for DOS in 1990 and later ported to Windows. It uses a game engine similar to those used by Sierra On-Line years earlier. It is the first game in the Hugo series of games. The story is rather typical: the girlfriend of Hugo has been kidnapped and taken into a mansion. The game uses a haunted house theme with various Halloween and horror movie tropes.
I believe my mother got me this game at a shareware game swap. I played the game so much that I not only beat it, but ended up writing a hand-written walk-though, full script, and documented various game bugs.
The game is now freeware. I have beaten the game with a full score, without hints.
- Overall: 3/10
- Best Version: DOS
- The game gives a charming adventure with decent puzzles.
- I like the trivia section which includes references to Narnia and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
- The artwork and sound was very dated (King's Quest V came out the same year!).
- The story is lacking, and the theme is tired.
- The game is too short.
- There are a couple bugs in the game that can be exploited.
- Nothing really.