Half-Life 2 is a first-person action adventure game developed and published by Valve and released for Windows on 2004-11-16 and then ported to several other platforms. It is the sequel to Half-Life and the second game in the Half-Life series. The game is built using the Source Engine.
I first heard about this game from a co-worker who had bought it at launch and said he was so impressed with it, he spent a lot of time at the beginning just playing with the physics. I rarely buy games at launch, so it was years later until I played the game. I got it as a gift, along with all the other Half-Life 2 games, from my friend Cody. Certainly one of the best gifts I ever received because these games became some of my favorites.
I own this game and have beaten in several times and got 24/33 achievements.
Best Version: Windows
— This section contains spoilers! —
- The 3D engine was awfully impressive at the time featuring water reflection, fog, dynamic lighting, light blinding, cast shadows, focus changing, etc.
- The physics is also really great for the time. Rolling wheels, weighted levers, spinning merry-go-rounds, and thrown objects that ricochet beautifully.
- The weapons feature a nice gradual increase in power that allows you to feel like you're becoming stronger as the game progresses.
- The Ravenholm chapter is deliciously terrifying. One of the scariest experiences I've ever had with a game.
- The Gravity Gun is a fantastic weapon, and being able to hurl saw blades and gas tanks was a wonderful idea.
- There are a lot of secret areas in the game which aides in the replay value. Despite trying to maintain an attention to detail each replay, I still haven't found them all.
- The NPCs continue to talk even if you're out of earshot which means you can often miss dialogue.
- There are a few points where the game gets dull and repetitious, like the highway section.
- Some of the puzzles are tedious, especially jumping puzzles. Not touching the sand in the sand lions section was especially annoying.
- I miss having the more powerful weapons from the first game like the Gluon Gun and the Tau Cannon. The Combine rifle is too similar to the machine gun.
- This game doesn't really have any serious faults.
- textures-resource.com/pc_computer/halflife2 - Textures.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life:_Escape_from_City_17 - Escape From City 17 - Wikipedia.
Escape From City 17 is an amateur film series produced by David and Ian Purchase. It's set in the Half-Life universe and details the aftermath that occurs after Gordon Freeman sets off the singularity in City 17 as all the rebels try to get out of the city with the Combine still after them. The first two episodes were self-funded, but the duo tried to crowd-fund the third episode, but it didn't reach its goal. A teaser was made for the third episode, but it never materialized. The films were later taken offline, but have be re-uploaded by other people.