Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch is novel written by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman and published on 1990-05-01. The story takes a humorous approach of viewing the Apocalypse from the Book of Revelations by making extraneous use of footnotes. It seems the world is going to end on a Saturday. Next Saturday actually. Just after tea. Crowley and Aziraphale (a demon and an angel) who have grown quite accustom to life on Earth, don't very much want the world to end, and have taken it upon themselves to prevent the Apocalypse.
Some of the main characters include: Crowley - the demon who always wears dark shades and drives a vintage Bentley. Aziraphale - an angel who owns a books store in Soho, but hates to sell his books. Adam Young - the anti-Christ at age 11 who loves nature and his dog. Anathima Device - current owner of the book Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter. Newton Pulsifer - a guy in way over his head. The Four Motorcyclists of the Apocalypse - Pollution, Famine, War, and Death.
The 2006 re-release hard cover features a much easier on the eyes typeface. The re-issue has a cute gimmick of creating two dust jacket covers (one in black with Aziraphale and one in white with Crowly). This annoys many collectors who now have to buy two copies of the book if they want a complete set, although the value of the first edition printing will always trump the re-issues.
I have a first edition US hardcover and have read it.
- This is seriously one of the funniest books I've ever read.
- The combination between the dark humor of Gaiman and the silliness of Pratchett is a beautiful combination.
- I love how they make constant pokes and jabs at religion without actually becoming blasphemous.
- The earlier printings of this book had a nasty font that made it hard to read.
- The 2006 publication has two different dust jackets, a black and white printing. This is a cheap ploy to try and convince collectors to buy two copies of the same book.
- Nothing. This book is perfect.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Omens - Wikipedia.