Freedom Planet is a scrolling platformer action developed and published by GalaxyTrail Games and released for Windows on 2014-07-21 and then ported to several other platforms. The game takes place on the planet of Avalice which has just been attacked by powerful aliens who are trying to steal the Kingdom Stone. The planet's inhabitants, humandoid animals, must fight against him.
The game was originally designed to be a clone of Sonic the Hedgehog, but the developer decided to make his own game instead. It has a better plot and story line and less-annoying level design. I thoroughly enjoyed most of the game, except the last bit of it.
I got this game through a Humble Bundle and decided to play it based on the attractive art in the screenshots.
I own this game and have beaten Lilac's story mode on normal difficulty. I have 7/56 achievements.
- Overall: 6/10
- Best Version: Windows
— This section contains spoilers! —
- The graphics are beautiful, the music is perfectly fitting, and the controls are very well done.
- Unlike Sonic, Freedom Planet rarely punishes running at full speed into unknown areas of the map.
- The voice acting is a little childish, but fitting for the game and nicely recorded.
- Most of the bosses are difficult enough that they will kill you a couple times, but not so hard to make the game annoying.
- I like the in-game unlockable media for those who put forth the effort to explore the maps fully.
- The difficulty curve is a little skewed. At normal difficulty, the first five stages or so are really easy, but then the game becomes frustratingly difficult near the end.
- The last couple bosses are much harder than is fitting for the rest of the game; the end boss is especially obnoxious. I could never find an effective pattern, so I just fought him a couple dozen times until I got lucky.
- Nothing, a really solid game.
- youtube.com/watch?v=NVxAKsI-hQ8 - Longplay.
|Japanese||フリーダムプラネット||Furidamu Puranetto||Freedom Planet|
- mobygames.com/game/freedom-planet - MobyGames.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Planet - Wikipedia.
- tcrf.net/Freedom_Planet_(Windows,_Mac_OS_X,_Linux) - The Cutting Room Floor.