Final Fantasy V
Like most Americans, I did not have access to this game when it came out or even know of its existence. However, many years after its release, I found a translated ROM hack and began playing it. I played the game about a third of the way through and enjoyed the story line, but the job system was very difficult for my completionist side to take, and I became bored constantly trying to level up all my characters. At some point, I lost my save game file and gave up on it, and haven't played it since.
I do not own this game and I have not beaten it.
- Overall: 6/10
- Best Version: ?
- The job system is pretty cool. I like the idea of being able to progress with a class and permanently have access to that class's abilities.
- The graphics have really been improved since IV, especially the monster graphics which take advantage of a larger color palette.
- Nobuo Uematsu once again delivers a fantastic soundtrack.
- The game is every completionist's nightmare. Not only do you level up the players, but you also have to level up all of their classes. This wouldn't be that annoying if ability points were increased with harder enemies like experience points are, but the average battle only yields 1-2 ABP, which takes forever to reach those 999 levels.
- Many of the abilities you get are quite useless.
- The classes aren't evenly that balanced. A monk or ninja dominates over a berserker.
- Dialog boxes are a little better than the previous game, so you don't accidentally skip them with the D-pad, but you have to let off the D-Pad before you can hit any of the other buttons which is annoying to talk and walk at the same time.
- There is a bug with the NPCs hurrying out of the way when you push them, and they often hurry well after you've passed them, and if you both walk into the same square at the same time, you walk through each other.
- You can easily purchase all of the level 1-3 magic early in the game, but the next several towns you discover will keep selling the same weak magic to you.
- Nothing. The game is really solid.
|English||Final Fantasy V|
|Japanese||ファイナルファンタジー||Fainaru Fantaji V||Final Fantasy V|