Duck Hunt is a light-gun game by Nintendo originally released on the NES in 1984 and then ported to the PlayChoice-10 and the Vs. System. Strangely, in 2004, a company ported it to the long since obsolete MSX. The dog and duck later showed up in Super Smash Bros. 4
I first played this game when my brother and I bought the NES Action Set around 1988 which came with a Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt multicart and a Zapper. One day, just to see how far I could get with cheating, I played the game with the gun directly in front of the TV and played long enough that the game stopped becoming more difficult. When I learned that there was no end to it, I became bored with the game and stopped playing it.
One interesting thing I found while playing with a debugger is the programmers actually trapped the max level to give a game over if you reach level 100 rather than having infinite play or a bugged kill screen.
I own the game in the Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt multi-cart. I can play indefinitely by getting extremely close to the television, but I'm not going to sit around until I reach level 100.
- Overall: 2/10
- Best Version: Vs. System
- For the first few minutes you play the game, you'll probably enjoy yourself.
- The cartoon graphics are kind of nice, and there is a noticeable difference in tone between the silly duck shooting and the more serious clay pigeons.
- The game has some nice memorable jingles.
- The Vs. System adds an additional type of game play and allows you to shoot the stupid giggling dog!
- Although the game ends at round 100, the difficultly stops increasing after only a handful of rounds and then caps out and repeats itself where it becomes dull.
- All of the game is dully similar. Although there are three total modes, you're essentially doing the exact same thing in each. There just isn't much content.
- youtube.com/watch?v=jBDNsaWiT8Q - Longplay.
Duck Hunt was released without credits, but dedicated fans have determined the majority of the staff.
|Hiroshi Yamauchi||Executive Producer|
|Hirokazu Tanaka||Music, Sound Effects, Audio Programmer|
|Japanese||ダックハント||Dakku Hanto||Duck Hunt|
- mobygames.com/game/duck-hunt - MobyGames.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_Hunt - Wikipedia.
- gamefaqs.com/nes/587252-duck-hunt - GameFAQs.
- thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Wiki/index.php/Duck_Hunt - NES Hacker Database.
- youtube.com/watch?v=dp_i3OElURE - Played on an actual NES.
- youtube.com/watch?v=Qtf1FUp-0jo - Shooting the dog in the VS System.
- youtube.com/watch?v=khtTZ87amwc - Boundary Break.