DuckTales is a platform adventure-action game developed and published by Capcom and first released on the NES in September of 1989, then Game Boy in 1990. The game takes place in the DuckTales universe.
I remember being interested in this game because it was pretty popular in Nintendo advertising, and because I enjoyed the television show. However, nobody I knew owned the game, so I didn't play it at the time. I tried it a few times in emulators, but didn't put much effort into it until around 2010 when I played it properly and found it to be a delightful game.
I do not own the game, but have beaten it on the NES on easy mode.
- Overall: 6/10
- Best Version: NES
— This section contains spoilers! —
- The graphics are fantastic, and accurately depict the various DuckTales characters.
- A lot of effort was made to include most of the DuckTales imagery, which rarely happens in licensed games. The title music is a great rendering of the TV show's theme.
- Hiroshige Tonomura composed a very nice soundtrack.
- Despite the game showing up on lists as being one of the easiest NES games on the platform, I think the game offers a pretty good challenge to a new player even on the easiest difficulty. I also like the feature where you can adjust the difficulty, even if it merely alters the player's hit points.
- Each area has a fair amount of hidden rooms and treasures which adds to the replay value.
- With only 5 stages, the game is a bit on the short side. The designers elongate play time by forcing you to go through the same maps multiple times, but this is a cheap trick.
- The difficulty settings don't increase the complexity of the game, they just cause enemies to deal more damage. This is a lazy difficulty setting.
- The mine cart riding portion is kind of annoying. It requires very accurate timing on a couple jumps for no real reason other than to kill you. And, if you succeed, Scrooge seems unperturbed at watching his nephews fall to their death!
|Japanese||わんぱくダック夢冒険||Wanpaku Dakku Yume Boken||Naughty Duck's Dream Adventures|
- mobygames.com/game/disneys-ducktales - MobyGames.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuckTales_(video_game) - Wikipedia.
- gamefaqs.com/nes/587253-disneys-ducktales - GameFAQs.
- thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Wiki/index.php/DuckTales - NES Hacker Database.
- tcrf.net/DuckTales_(NES) - The Cutting Room Floor.