Doom II: Hell On Earth
Doom II: Hell On Earth is a first-person shooter developed by id Software and published by GT Interactive for MS-DOS on 1994-10-10 and later ported to several platforms. It is the second game in the Doom series. You play the same space marine as in the first game, only the demons of Hell have reached Earth through one of the Mars portals. Now you must fight them and destroy the huge demon in charge to stop them from destroying the planet.
I bought Doom II after it was released for Windows 95 and played it all the time. I often turn on cheats just to plow though every level mindlessly while watching TV. Playing Doom II often reminds me of the music from Queen's Sheer Heart Attack album, which I listened to a lot when I first played this game. I still occasionally use ZDoom to run various Doom wads and play the game passively with cheats.
I own Doom II for Windows (Doom 95) and have beaten every level on Hurt Me Plenty difficulty.
- Overall: 7/10
- Best Version: Doom95 for Windows
- I enjoy pretty much all of the additions to the game. Each of the new enemies have their own quirks, the new weapon is pretty sweet, and the various upgrades to the engine are quite nice.
- The new maps are very well-constructed and professional and make good use of the new features.
- The idea of Hell breaking loose on a futuristic Earth is a pretty awesome idea, even if it doesn't look very impressive.
- Yes, the levels are all sequential and there are some great new features, but there isn't really anything fundamentally new about this game. Over all, it feels like less of a sequel and more like an upgrade or mod.
- youtube.com/watch?v=yIxEEgEuhT4 - Speed run, 100% secrets.
- mobygames.com/game/doom-ii_ - MobyGames.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_II:_Hell_on_Earth - Wikipedia.
- vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php/Doom_II:_Hell_On_Earth_(DOS) - Music.
- tcrf.net/Doom_II:_Hell_on_Earth_(PC) - The Cutting Room Floor.
- textures-resource.com/pc_computer/pcdoom2 - Textures.