Doom is a first-person shooter developed by id Software. In the game, you play a space marine stationed on Mars. Scientists have been experimenting with dimensional travel and have accidentally opened a portal to Hell, and released hordes of demons on the planet. It's up to you to fight your way through the demons, enter Hell, and stop them from getting to Earth.
Doom is considered a monumental game being the first hugely-successful multiplayer FPS and breaking ground among 3D games. When it came out, the computer I owned couldn't
I own The Ultimate Doom and have beaten all four episodes on Hurt Me Plenty difficulty.
- The game is just a lot of fun to play.
- The addition of multi-player, while not necessary, vastly increased the enjoyment of the game.
- There were a lot of interesting small features added to the game like monsters that would get mad and hurt each other, enemies near ledges that would fall off, flickering lights, semi-transparent demons, etc.
- Each of the weapons has its own strengths and weaknesses. For most of them, there is no way to say that it is definitively better than another.
- The game was really spooky at the time, and even today, when I'm playing a new map, I get apprehensive about diving into sludge or walking into a dark room.
- The earlier releases of the game had some pretty bad bugs, but id did a great job patching them.