Chip 'N Dale: Rescue Rangers 2
Chip 'N Dale: Rescue Rangers 2 is a platform action game developed and published by Capcom on 1993-12-10 for the NES as the sequel to Chip 'N Dale: Rescue Rangers. In the game you play Chip and Dale as they attempt to foil the plans of the evil villain Fat Cat with help from the other Rescue Rangers from the cartoon.
I didn't play Chip 'N Dale: Rescue Rangers 2 when it came out. Having jumped on the SNES bandwagon in 1991, I stopped paying attention to NES releases, so I didn't even know this game existed until I learned about NES emulators and found a ROM. Having beaten the first game the same day I rented it, I wasn't too interested in the sequel. I booted it up in an emulator and saw that it was basically an identical game, so I didn't bother with it for years. However, wanting to increase my total of finished games, I decided to try my hand at it. On my first play-through, I made it to the second-to-last stage, and, in my second attempt, on 2018-11-03, I beat the game without needing to continue.
I do not own this game, but I have beaten it.
- Overall: 4/10
- Best Version: NES
- The game plays as a competent 8-bit era platformer.
- The cut-scenes help capture the fun and excitement of the cartoon.
- The graphics are well-drawn, and the palettes used in the backgrounds are really good.
- The upbeat music fits the game's theme, and the composer nicely incorporated the cartoon's theme song.
- I like that you are able to increase your hit points by collecting R&R plaques.
- The mini-game between levels is a nice addition.
- I like how, instead of a fifth heart, you get a giant heart.
- The two-player simultaneous cooperative play is a well made.
- The game is too easy. I beat it on my second attempt. I know it was made for kids, but even kids deserve a better challenge.
- The difficulty curve is a bit skewed in some spots. For example, the mine cart section is quite difficult because it's so easy to fall off, and the penultimate boss is also very hard.
- The R&R plaques are a bit more thematic than the flowers from the first game, but I still think the designers could have come up with something better.
- You can only increase your life by two more hearts. If you're playing a solo game, you'll reach that before the halfway point, making it pointless to collect any more plaques. It would have been nice to offer some sort of reward to continue collecting them.
- Zipper looks a bit evil in this game.
- The ending is very anti-climactic.
- The game is very similar to the first, a bit too similar really. It's more like playing a level expansion than a new game.
All of the boxes use the same artwork, just with variations on the graphic layout around it. The art is well-painted, but it's a little wrong because this game doesn't include the apples from the first game.
- youtube.com/watch?v=XGwGoKAvvxo - Longplay.
|English||Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers 2|
|Japanese||チップとデールの大作戦2||Chippu to Deru no Daisakusen 2||Chip and Dale's Mission 2|
- mobygames.com/game/nes/disneys-chip-n-dale-rescue-rangers-2 - MobyGames.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_%27n_Dale_Rescue_Rangers_2 - Wikipedia.
- tcrf.net/Chip_%27n_Dale_Rescue_Rangers_2 - The Cutting Room Floor.