Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, known in Japan as 悪魔城伝説 [Akumajo Densetsu], "Devil's Castle Legend", is an action platformer by Konami released on the Famicom in 1989. Though the title numbers it the third game, it's the third game in the Castlevania series, it's actually the sixth Castlevania title released, and is a prequel to the first Castlevania. In this game, you play Trevor Belmont, ancestor of Simon Belmont, although it functions very similarly to the original Castlevania and borrows heavily from it.
Knowing that Castlevania games were well-liked by my friends, and having seen a lot of coverage of them in gaming magazines, I bought this game shortly after it came out. It was the very first Castlevania game I ever played and I fount it to be particularly difficult; the furthest I got on my own was to the mummy bosses. This, I think, led to my dislike for the early Castlevania titles that are stage-based rather than the later titles which are adventure based (Metroidvania-style).
At some point a friend borrowed this game and never returned it. I have not beaten it and have no interest in trying.
- Overall: 4/10
- Best Version: NES
- The game has great graphics and sound for the NES, and the Japanese release even featured an additional audio chip.
- The addition of the three playable characters adds more depth replay to the game allowing the player to try to beat it with all four characters. I also like the cutscenes with them.
- I don't like how you can only have one secondary character with you at a time.
- Getting hit knocks you back and often kills you, and it happens at an annoying rate.
- Trevor is extremely vulnerable on stairs, and there are a lot to have to walk up.
- The medusa heads are obnoxiously difficult to deal with.
- Again, the game uses points, which have no bearing on the game.
- Like the original, the game is just too damn difficult to the point where I don't feel like ever trying to get good at it.
- mobygames.com/game/nes/castlevania-iii-draculas-curse- - MobyGames.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania_III:_Dracula%27s_Curse - Wikipedia.
- thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Wiki/index.php?title=Castlevania_III:_Dracula%27s_Curse - NES Hacker Database.