I don't remember when I first played this game, but I'm pretty sure I played Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse first, and then this game after, and found it a bit lacking in comparison. As a classic Castlevania game, I want to be good at it, but the game has some serious flaws that make it unlikely I'll ever try to beat it.
I own this game on the NES, but I have never even come close to beating it.
- Overall: 3/10
- Best Version: NES
- The designers made good use of all the common horror tropes.
- The game has a decent soundtrack.
- I like that Simon's weapon is a whip; kind of a unique choice.
- For such an early game, it has a pretty good amount of variation between enemies, stages, and bosses.
- The artists did a great job with the background scene approaching the final boss.
- The game has great box art.
- Simon is extremely vulnerable on stairs because he moves so slowly on them and can't jump off. Unfortunately, you spend a lot of the game on them.
- The background graphics lack definition and are a bit off. They look as though they were drawn for a different resolution and then resized without being fixed.
- The medusa heads are obnoxious to deal with.
- The game has unnecessary arcade mechanics like points and time, even though they have no real bearing on the game.
- The game is annoyingly difficult to the point where I don't feel like ever trying to get good at it.
- The game has terrible player control. Attacking is sluggish, jumping is difficult to control, and getting hit knocks you back, often killing you.
Game manual (Uses Eras typeface).
The Official Nintendo Player's Guide, part 1.
Nintendo Power, boss help.
- youtube.com/watch?v=mOTUVXrAOE8 - Longplay, all secrets.
|Japanese||悪魔城ドラキュラ||Akumajo Dorakyura||Devil's Castle Dracula|
- mobygames.com/game/castlevania - MobyGames.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania_(1986_video_game) - Wikipedia.
- vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php?title=Castlevania_(NES) - Music.
- thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Wiki/index.php?title=Castlevania - NES Hacker Database.
- tcrf.net/Castlevania_(NES) - The Cutting Room Floor.