Castlevania, known in Japan as 悪魔城ドラキュラ [Akumajo Dorakyura], "Devil's Castle Dracula", is an action platformer by Konami released on the Famicom Disk System in 1986 and later ported to many other platforms. It is the first game in the Castlevania series.
I don't remember when I first played this game, but I'm pretty sure I played Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse first, and then this game after, and found it a bit lacking in comparison.
I own this game on the NES, but I have never even come close to beating it.
- Overall: 3/10
- Best Version: NES
- The designers made good use of all the common horror tropes.
- The game has a decent soundtrack.
- I like that Simon's weapon is a whip; kind of a unique choice.
- The game has great box art.
- For such an early game, it has a pretty good amount of variation between enemies, stages, and bosses.
- The background graphics lack definition and are a bit off. They look as though they were drawn for a different resolution and then resized without being fixed.
- Getting hit knocks you back and often kills you, and it happens at an annoying rate.
- Simon is extremely vulnerable on stairs, and there are a lot to have to walk up.
- The medusa heads are obnoxiously difficult to deal with.
- The game uses points, which have no bearing on the game.
- The game is annoyingly difficult to the point where I don't feel like every trying to get good at it.
- Castlevania - NES - Manual.pdf
- mobygames.com/game/castlevania - MobyGames.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania_(1986_video_game) - Wikipedia.
- vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php?title=Castlevania_(NES) - Music.
- thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Wiki/index.php?title=Castlevania - NES Hacker Database.