I don't remember when I first played this game, but I'm pretty sure I played Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse first, and then this game after, and found it a bit lacking in comparison. As a classic Castlevania game, I want to be good at it, but the game has some serious flaws that make it unlikely I'll ever try to beat it.
I own this game on the NES, but I have never even come close to beating it.
- Overall: 4/10
- Best Version: NES
- The designers made good use of all the common horror tropes.
- The game has a good soundtrack composed by Kinuyo Yamashita and Satoe Terashima.
- I like that Simon's weapon is a whip; kind of a unique choice.
- For such an early game, it has a pretty good amount of variation between enemies, stages, and bosses.
- The artists did a great job with the background scene approaching the final boss.
- The Japanese manual is really informative.
- The game has great box art.
- Simon is extremely vulnerable on stairs because he moves so slowly on them and can't jump off. Unfortunately, you spend a lot of the game on them.
- The background graphics lack definition and are a bit off. They look as though they were drawn for a different resolution and then resized without being fixed.
- Several enemies are really annoying to deal with because the player's attack and movement is so slow. The medusa heads and fleamen are particularly obnoxious.
- The game has unnecessary arcade mechanics like points and time, even though they have no real bearing on the game.
- The game is annoyingly difficult to the point where I don't feel like ever trying to get good at it.
- The game has terrible player control. Attacking is sluggish, jumping is difficult to control, and getting hit knocks you back, often killing you.
- Castlevania - NES - Manual.pdf
North American manual (Uses Eras typeface).
The Official Nintendo Player's Guide, part 1.
Nintendo Power, boss help.
- youtube.com/watch?v=mOTUVXrAOE8 - Longplay, all secrets.
|Japanese||悪魔城ドラキュラ||Akumajo Dorakyura||Devil's Castle Dracula|
- mobygames.com/game/castlevania - MobyGames.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania_(1986_video_game) - Wikipedia.
- vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php?title=Castlevania_(NES) - Music.
- thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Wiki/index.php?title=Castlevania - NES Hacker Database.
- tcrf.net/Castlevania_(NES) - The Cutting Room Floor.