I don't remember when I first played this game, but I'm pretty sure I played Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse first, and then this game after, and found it a bit lacking in comparison.
I own this game on the NES, but I have never even come close to beating it.
- Overall: 3/10
- Best Version: NES
- The designers made good use of all the common horror tropes.
- The game has a decent soundtrack.
- I like that Simon's weapon is a whip; kind of a unique choice.
- The game has great box art.
- For such an early game, it has a pretty good amount of variation between enemies, stages, and bosses.
- The background graphics lack definition and are a bit off. They look as though they were drawn for a different resolution and then resized without being fixed.
- Getting hit knocks you back and often kills you, and it happens at an annoying rate.
- Simon is extremely vulnerable on stairs, and there are a lot to have to walk up.
- The medusa heads are obnoxiously difficult to deal with.
- The game uses points, which have no bearing on the game.
- The game is annoyingly difficult to the point where I don't feel like every trying to get good at it.
- Castlevania - NES - Manual.pdf
- mobygames.com/game/castlevania - MobyGames.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania_(1986_video_game) - Wikipedia.
- vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php?title=Castlevania_(NES) - Music.
- thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Wiki/index.php?title=Castlevania - NES Hacker Database.