Cast In Moonlight
Cast In Moonlight is a novella written by Michelle Sagara and first published in the book Harvest Moon on 2011-09-27. The story is set in the Chronicles of Elantra universe and serves as a prequel to the first book, Cast In Shadow. It describes how Kaylin Neya joined the Hawks.
While trying to find more female authors of fantasy and sci-fi, this series was included near the top of pretty much every list I found. However, I did not enjoy this book at all.
I do not own this book, but have listened to an audio book recording of it.
- Nothing really, but the setting does have some potential.
- There are too many characters of too many different races, and not enough description of each to form a picture of them in my head. I'm presuming because this is a prequel, the author just assumed that her readers were already familiar with the characters.
- The writing felt unrefined. For example, the author wrote that characters "frowned" about two dozen times even in the short book. More effort could have been expended coming up with unique ways of saying this.
- I found the world to be too structured and tidy for a fantasy setting. Typically, when a world has dragons and magic, the world is arcane and uncertain, but here, the city has an interconnected communication system.
- The whole time I felt like I was reading the final project of a high school teenager's creative writing class rather than the work of a professional author.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_Sagara#Chronicles_of_Elantra - Wikipedia - Chronicles of Elantra.
- goodreads.com/book/show/11210783-harvest-moon - GoodReads (Harvest Moon)