Bionic Commando, known in Japan as トップシークレット [Toppu Shikuretto], "Top Secret" is an action platformer developed by Capcom, originally released for the arcade in 1987, but then ported to many other platforms. This was the first title in the series which has spawned several more games including remakes, reboots, and sequels.
In the game, you play a soldier with a bionic arm who is infiltrating an enemy army. You can throw your arm and connect it to various platforms to swing your way around the maps, but it can also be employed as a defensive shield by punching away enemies. You have to make your way through five stages before confronting the enemy general.
I first learned about Bionic Commando long after playing the NES remake. I wanted to create a web page shrine for the game, and learned about the original arcade game and its various ports. Having never even seen the game in an arcade, I played it on MAME, and was quite disappointed by it. The NES remake was markedly better.
I do not own any version of this game and have not beaten it.
- Overall: 3/10
- Best Version: Arcade
- The graphics and music are both top notch of the time.
- Each stage is pretty unique introducing new enemies, hazards, and mechanics.
- The swing mechanic was certainly a creative concept.
- mobygames.com/game/bionic-commando - MobyGames.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bionic_Commando - Wikipedia.
- thealmightyguru.com/Reviews/BionicCommando/Wiki/index.php - Bionic Commando Database.
- spritedatabase.net/game/121 - Arcade sprites.