I first played Battletoads at my cousin's house. I think he was borrowing it from a friend. I thought it was really funny how the toads created giant fists and boots when they killed the enemies. It didn't take us too long to get to the Turbo Tunnel (stage 3), where we kept dying over and over again in the racing portion. Every so often we would get to the warp and jump to Karnath's Lair, or finish the stage and do the Arctic Caverns, but I gradually grew to hate the game because of its difficulty.
I do not own this game, and I have not beaten it. Excluding warping, I think I've only ever made it to level 4.
- Overall: 4/10
- Best Version: ?
- The graphics, music, and game play are all good.
- There is a lot of game to play, and each level is unique.
- There are some very creative levels and bosses. The first boss is a really interesting switch from the 2-D platformer. The riding levels are also really cool.
- The over-exaggerated animation is hilarious.
- I like how the game sometimes breaks the fourth wall, like with the invaders that rob your health bar.
- The large enemy sprites for the bosses are really nice.
- Most of the game is dedicated to riding levels. In general, I don't care for that style of game for the same reason I don't like rail shooters. You don't have much control over your character, and it doesn't really fit with the beat-em-up genre.
- In the Turbo Tunnel, my intuition kept telling me that I needed to hit the jump button on the ground ramps, and I died countless times because of it before finally discovering I just had to line up my character with the ramp.
- As you get further into the game, enemies do massive amounts of damage even with their basic attacks.
- The game is obnoxiously difficult. Far too hard to be enjoyable.
- Far too much of the game requires level memorization.
- youtube.com/watch?v=iPVQCts8O74 - Longplay