I first played Battletoads at my cousin's house. I think he was borrowing it from a friend. I though it was really funny how the toads created giant fists and boots when they killed the enemies. It didn't take us too long to get to the Turbo Tunnel (stage 3), where we kept dying over and over again. Every so often we would get to the warp and jump to Karnath's Lair, or finish the stage and do the Arctic Caverns, but I gradually grew to hate the game because of its difficulty.
I do not own this game, and I have not beaten it. Excluding warping, I think I've only ever made it to level 4.
- Overall: 4/10
- Best Version: ?
- The graphics, music, and game play are all good.
- There is a lot of game to play, and each level is unique.
- There are some very creative levels and bosses. The first boss is a really interesting switch from the 2-D platformer. The riding levels are also really cool.
- The over-exaggerated animation is hilarious.
- I like how the game sometimes breaks the fourth wall, like with the invaders that rob your health bar.
- The large enemy sprites for the bosses are really nice.
- In the Turbo Tunnel, my intuition told me that I needed to hit the jump button on the ramps, and I died many times because of it before discovering I just had to line up with it.
- Most of the game is dedicated to riding levels which makes the game rather passive for a beat-em-up.
- The game is obnoxiously difficult. Far too hard to be enjoyable.
- Far too much of the game relies on level memorization.