Arkandian Legends: Chapter I - Crusade
Arkandian Crusade is a casual RPG that is broken up into missions of tile-based movement with side-view combat.
- The constant skill increases are nice and give you constant positive feedback.
- The paperdoll clothing system is very fanciful.
- I like how the combat lets you choose what level of attack you want to risk.
- The weapon prefixes adds a lot of variety to the game.
- The ability to choose good or evil from an early stage is kind of nice.
- The defense missions are a nice change of pace from regular combat.
- Item crafting is a fun side-project.
- Even with the various weapons, armor, and items, there is a strong sameness to the whole game.
- Nearly all missions lack bosses, which makes beating them rather underwhelming.
- The auto sorting of items in your backpack is obnoxious.
- The store doesn't upgrade its items, so it becomes pretty useless very early in the game.
- The weapons and armor aren't very thematic. A wizard can wear full plate armor without any decrease to their skills.
- All weapons, including polearms and bows, are 1-handed so the character can still wield a huge shield.
- The inability of monsters to move makes them seem really superfluous when they're not placed directly in your way.
- It's stupid that you can't cast heal outside of combat.
- Some of the anachronistic clothes are cute, but a lot of them kind of ruin the high-fantasy vibe.
- The random prefixes often don't make sense, like adding a piercing buff to pants, or alchemy increase to a bow.
- Item crafting is entirely unnecessary to beat the game. It should have been incorporated more.
- Other than grinding defensive stats, I couldn't see a use for the defend action during combat.
- The combat status icons have no tool tip, so I didn't know what half of them meant.
- While there is a story, the vast majority of the game feels like you're just min/maxing and clicking a mouse button as things happen. There is practically no emotional involvement at all.
- Death has practically no down-side, just the minor cost of having to pay travel expenses again.
- kongregate.com/games/undefined/arkandian-crusade - Play Online.