Adventure is an adventure game developed by Warren Robinett for the Atari 2600 and released in 1980. Robinett wanted to create a game similar to Colossal Cave Adventure found on DEC and PLATO systems, but, since the Atari didn't have the memory to handle enough text, he had to make it a more abstract graphical game, which pioneered the graphical action adventure genre.
This is one of the first video games I ever played (around 1987), and part of not knowing what was possible in the game created a sense of awe, which, when combined with the quirkiness of the box art and game's manual, made it an instant favorite. Now that I know more about how the game functions, I'm less enamored with it.
I have beaten all three levels, but I have yet to successfully recover the microdot. I can get it, but I keep bumping into the bridge and drop it on the way out.
- Overall: 4/10
- Best Version: Atari 2600
- At the time, this was the only adventure game for the console market, so it was quite the pioneer.
- I like how the game world uses a non-Euclidean map system where you don't simply move from room-to-room, but rather warp around. This keeps the map unpredictable.
- The pack bat is a clever and creative nemesis.
- The use of the bridge and magnet is especially creative.
- I like the fact that when the dragons eat you, you can be seen inside their bellies.
- The game's Easter egg is a nice touch.
- The game's box art is great.
- The pack bat, while clever, is really obnoxious to the point of throwing a joystick!
- The dragons look like ducks. While this is funny, it takes away from the thrill of the game.
- Level 3, rather than being harder than level 2, is just the same map with the starting position of the items randomized. Kind of a let-down.
- The magnet and bridge, though creative, are entirely unnecessary to beat the game.
- The game is unfortunately very short. Even without any prior knowledge, you can memorize the entire map, and beat all three difficulty levels in less than an hour. I understand that this is a constraint of the system, but it really hurts the game.
- Adventure - Accurate Box.jpg
A more accurate box title.
- mobygames.com/game/atari-2600/adventure - MobyGames.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_%281979_video_game%29 - Wikipedia.
- atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=964 - Atari Age.
- gamefaqs.com/atari2600/584543-adventure - GameFAQs.
- youtube.com/watch?v=yINb5Huh0C4 - Postmortem.
- atariage.com/forums/topic/154984-hack-project-thread-galaxian-arcade-double-dragon-xenophobe-etc/ - Enhanced Adventure Hack.
- atariage.com/forums/topic/262567-adventure-kingdoms-a-new-functional-graphical-hack-of-adventure/ - Adventure Kingdoms Hack.