ActRaiser is multi-genre game with a fantasy theme developed by Quintet and published by Enix on 1990-12-16. The game has two modes, one section plays as a real-time strategy where you build a city while fighting monsters, the other mode is an action platformer hack-and-slash.
I never played the game when it came out, but I saw it highly ranked online and decided to try it out. I took awhile to get down the boss battles, but I eventually beat the game, and enjoyed it.
I own this game, have beaten it on standard difficulty.
Best Version: 62%
— This section contains spoilers! —
- Over all, the game has good graphics, nice music, and is fun to play.
- It's always a gamble making a multi-genre game, but I enjoyed both modes in ActRaiser. The strategy portion was a bit too easy for my tastes, but fun, and the platformer portion was more interesting and challenging.
- The use of very large sprites really helps remind you that you're no longer playing and 8-bit game.
- The suped-up boss rush at the end is difficult, but quite enjoyable.
- The game is painfully scripted. For a fantasy game, there is very little adventure.
- youtube.com/watch?v=ZK1_-CraiRo - Longplay.